Friday, February 3, 2012

Entitlements

Awhile back I sat down to write a letter to my senator, Barbara Boxer. I found her official web site and began to fill out the provided form for sending her an email. I was quite surprised that one of the required fields on the form was the prefix to the name. Several choices were provide and you had to choose one of them in order to complete the process and send her the message. The offer was rather limited. Mr. Mrs. Miss and Miss. Since I never use such an indicator to proceed my name I was rather taken aback. It was not that I minded letting the senator know my gender. I just could not understand why such a policy was necessary. I wrote and asked her why, if I was a citizen of the United States of America residing in California, I should give this information just to make a comment to my elected representative in Washington. And why have to choose from such a short list of possible titles. Why can't I be identified as Sir, Lord, High Holy One or Master? It is interesting to note that you could use whatever you pleased as a suffix, I suppose Jr. and II are common. Then there is MA, pHd, BS, SoB and pDq.
Anyway before writing this blog I checked her web site, the policy has been changed. I applaud the senator for this change, but I am somewhat disappointed. I was going to ridicule the policy here.
OWL
Feb. 3 2012

No comments: